Printfriendly

LOOM KNIT LACE & RIDGE HAT & COWL SET

Keep Warm & Toasty With This Loom Knit Set...


I was in a wonderful yarn shop in Cape May, New Jersey called Fiber Arts and fell in love with this baby alpaca yarn in Jade.  I had never felt anything so soft and the color was so rich.  I bought the yarn and quickly returned home and knit the cowl.  I was so pleased with my cowl, with its beautiful pleats, until I tried it on and found out that it was kind of itchy around the neck.  Although I was disappointed that it wasn't comfortable, I decided to persevere and make the slouch hat to go along with it.  The hat turned out wonderful with alternating ridges and lace and was warm and comfortable.  Despite negative things I had heard about blocking Alpaca (it has no memory and may go limp), I went ahead and blocked the hat using a combination of a soccer ball and Pyrex bowl to shape it.  It turned out just as I had hoped and opened up the pattern so it really stood out.  Energized, I went ahead and soaked the cowl in Eucalan and blocked that too after rinsing.  The cowl now stands away from the neck and is no longer picky!
#freeloomknittingpatterns #loomknithat #loomknitcowl #loomknithatandscarf

You can find the Cowl Pattern Here:  COWL PATTERN
You can find the Hat Pattern Here:  Hat Pattern


Directions for blocking the hat and cowl:
1.  Wet hat completely.
2.  Gently squeeze out excess water
3.  Lay hat on thick towel and gently blot between layers
4.  Put together a balloon or ball with a Pyrex bowl as seen below...

This is the set up I used to block the hat.  I did not want the brim area to stretch out so I needed that area to taper in.



5.  Shape hat around ball and straighten stitches.
6.  Let dry thoroughly.

For Cowl:
1.  Repeat steps 1-3 using cowl.
2.  Shape cowl around canister or similar item and straighten stitches. See Below.
3.  Let dry thoroughly.


2013, Copyright, Nicole F. Cox, thismomentisgood.blogspot.com, all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:  I have made every effort to ensure that these instructions are accurate and complete.  I cannot, however, be reponsible for human error, typographical mistakes, or variations in individual work.  



No comments

Powered by Blogger.